School History - Photographs &
Drawings of the School
Drawing of the Royal Union Schools building designed in
1837 to accommodate 500 scholars at an expense of £800. The old Boys'
Schoolroom was demolished and rebuilt with an additional schoolroom for girls
over it. Each schoolroom was 60 feet by 30 feet and had an adjoining
'classroom'. For a sketch-plan of the internal layout click
The corner of Middle St. and Duke St. c1890. The school is
at the far left.
Boyce's Street 1870s - these cottages were demolished so
that the school could be extended. In 1875 numbers 3,4 and 5 Boyce's St and part
of 58 West St were purchased as a site for an Infant School and to enlarge the
boys' playground and provide a playground for the girls and infants. The
approach to the girls' department, which had been by a staircase from Middle
Street was now made by a long corridor and staircase from Boyce's St.
The Middle Street side of the school - 1905
Boyce's Street - 1950s
School from playground - 1954 (Brighton & Hove Gazette)
The Middle Street side of the school - 1973.
The Middle Street side of the school - 1973 - work is
underway for the rebuilding of the school in 1974.
See the drawings made by children of the demolition
This stone, with its inscription just about legible, is
now in our infant playground. It reads -
MIDDLE STREET SCHOOLS
Formerly known as the ROYAL UNION SCHOOL
FOUNDED 1805 : REBUILT AND ENLARGED 1837
TRANSFERRED 1874-80 : AND REMODELLED BY THE
BRIGHTON SCHOOL-BOARD 1877
Birds-eye view of the school buildings 2005.